For a change ready on time, I was sat next to the phone at 11:25 waiting for Jonny to call me with some news. He didn't. Which I assumed had to do with serious phone congestion after seven egg retrievals yesterday. At 11:49 I could not contain myself any longer and called him.
Slight miscommunication from my side, telling Jonny he could call the hospital between 12:30 and 13:30. It must have been a slip of the finger when I typed up the appoinment in Microsoft Outlook. Since he was in a meeting I offered to make the phone call myself after all.
So at 11:50 the labaratory informed me that one egg cell had fertilised! They told me they had a bit of a scare, since it turned out the other one was immature and had no chance of fertilising at all. The one would have to do! And it did. Assuming it will divide further (this usually happens), the return to the mothership is tomorrow afternoon. This we will find out at 10:00 tomorrow morning. At 11:53 I called Jonny again during his meeting to tell him we are still in the race.
For those of you that actually want to know what stage the our combined DNA is at: the pronucleus of the female cell (egg) and the pronucleus of the male cell (sperm) fuse together to form a normal diploid number of chromosomes (2N = 46 in humans).
The appearance of two pronuclei (2pn) is the first sign of successful fertilization and is usually observed 18 hours after the ICSI procedure.The embryo is placed in a CO2 incubator with a controlled temperature that is the same as my body: 37 degrees C. The conditions in the incubator and the culture medium are designed to mimic the conditions in the fallopian tube, so that the embryo can grow happily in vitro. The culture medium contains various ingredients such as protein, salts, buffer and antibiotics which allow optimal growth of the embryo – like chicken soup for the embryo!
2 comments:
hello,
a little embryo just waiting to go back safe in your belly... cool!!!!!!!
i'm sure it will nest there and decide to stay 9 months more. i'm happy for you.
as for me, I did my ultrasound: the embryo has grown and its little heart is beating!
BUT the placental detachment has gat a bit wore, which means I have to stay still (bed rest) for 8 more days, till the next ultrasound. there is still a major risk that the embryo is not fed correctly and stops.
besides, the embryo shows a growth backwardness, which might be due to the fact that it was a frozen embryo, but its growth has to be watched carefully.
so I have to rest and wait patiently, hoping everything will be all right...
I'm thinking of you for the embryo tranfer, yours friendly,
Christine
My congratulations honey! I used donor eggs and gave birth to wonderful boy last year! I have no regrets at all! At first I had some doubts. I was nervous so much. I know how it feels… All that waiting is just driving you crazy. I was looking at other women, who have already become mothers. I was so jealous. I thought maybe I've done something bad? Maybe I just don't deserve to get what I want? Yes, it's hard, because it's not our fault we can't conceive naturally. But still we should be grateful for such chance to have this procedure and become mothers! The greatest fear was that I will not be able to love child, which is not genetically related to me. It's much easier for man to accept this procedure, because a baby will be from him. As it was my only way out, I decided we should try. It was a difficult, but the result changed our lives! After a couple of months of thorough search, reading of hundreds reviews and contacting clinics directly we've found clinic in Europe. I wanted a baby who I will carry and give birth by myself. I wanted to be with him from the moment of his birth, from his first breath. Of course, I wanted baby to look like us. But as soon as the doctor made an embryo transfer, the only thing I was thinking about was pregnancy to be successful and my baby to be born healthy! Now I have absolutely no feeling that my son is not mine genetically! No one can ever tell he is from donor egg. We decided not to tell our parents the whole truth. For them we had ivf with my eggs and my husband's sperm. If you have firmly decided to become a mother, no difficulties will stop you. I'm not going to tell my son that I used donor egg of another woman to get pregnant. I'm sure he doesn't need to worry about this in the future. This fact will change nothing for him. I've never regret about my decision!
Post a Comment