Friday, 4 January 2008

10w2d and a nose like a blood hound

I have developed a rather complex relationship with food at the moment. Call it a love-hate relationship. I need to have it, but the sheer thought can be off-putting. Apparently the increased oestrogen makes your sense of smell more acute during pregnancy. Giving cravings but also extreme aversions to food.

No exciting cravings to report so far, like pickled herring with strawberry jam or something of the kind. Something cool to tell the kid later. I only crave a lot of food. Not in one go, but many small portions over the day. In fact if I don't eat I feel nauseated, so I keep a stock of health bars and satsumas in my bag. My A.N.S. as Jonny named it: my anti-nausea system.

There are many aversions on the other hand. Cigarette smoke is my nemesis at the moment. Okay, that is no food, but still. I can't stand the smell. Unfortunately I can smell people who have smoked from ten feet away. Yesterday I had to step out of the waiting line in the post office because the guy behind me smelled like an ashtray. Furthermore, I am not keen on garlic, salt and vinegar crisps, cod or left-overs.

A bit erratic, I fully admit. It gets worse. Jonny and I went out for lunch the other day and I got some Camomile, Honey and Vanilla tea to have with my sandwich. It seemed like such a good idea and fully supported by the healthy eating pregnancy brigade. 'Cos 'naturally caffeine free'.

Until it arrived and I had to ask Jonny to please please please take it away. The smell made me wretch. The sandwich boy kindly brought me another cup of tea and inquired what was wrong with the previous cup. To which I replied: "it's not the tea, it is me"....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Een beetje laat maar alsnog een gelukkig nieuwjaar! Ik lees jullie blog met veel plezier en vond de babyticker zo geweldig dat ik deze nu zelf ook heb! Ik zit precies een week na jullie, zit vandaag op 9 weken en 3 dagen. En ik heb nu al zin in de echo volgende week als ik die van jullie zie! Ik ben ook via ISCI zwanger geworden dus het wordt ook al onze 3e echo. En het zal vreemd zijn om niet mijn ondergoed uit te hoeven trekken dit keer ;-).

Flo said...

Hoi Madelieve,

Dankjewel voor je complimenten en jij ook nog de beste wensen voor 2008! Ennuh, van harte gefeliciteerd met je zwangerschap! :-)

Als jij ook een babyticker hebt, waar is deze dan te zien? Ben natuurlijk altijd nieuwsgierig naar andere ICSI-zwangerschappen en verhalen over echo's met broek aan! ;-)

Marije said...

Gekookte/kokende rijst, echt daar ging ik van over mijn nek!
Voor een bepaald soort cornflackes met halfvolle melk kon je mij 's nachts wakker maken.
Chocola moest, maar moet nog steeds!

Marije said...

... er zit geen link met je mailadres op jullie site.. of wel?

Pobb said...

ha Flo, ja smeeeeeerig he rokers nu, moet zeggen dat ik t nog heb hoor... maar wat er toen ook bij kwam; ik werd erg protective... zo van ROKEN TAST MIJN BABY AAN BASTARD! en ging dan zachtjes grommen... ook dat heb ik nog...terwijl ik best een sigaretje luste [lees stevige roker was] vooor mn zwangerschap... maar sigaretten in de buurt van mn kids.... nu en toen ze in de buik zaten.... hoeiii... tandjes ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hoi Flo, ik zie nu je reactie! Nee, ik heb geen blog, de ticker staat op mijn Hyves, sorry!

Pobb said...

hey you... alles ok?